The Arrma Kraton is a truggie built by Arrma RC and comes in three different Scale Sizes. The Arrma Kraton is built for drivers who like to bash and hit jumps. In this post, we will review the Arrma Kraton pros and cons so you can decide if the Kraton is the right vehicle to add to your collection of RC cars and trucks.
Should I Buy an Arrma Kraton?
The Arrma Kraton comes in three different scale versions and they are:
- 1/10 Scale 4S
- 1/8 Scale 6S
- 1/5 Scale 8S
Depending on what size of RC truggy you are looking for, make sure to research each of the different models. Not only do the different versions have different battery requirements, but also have different dimensions.
For example, the 1/10 Scale 4S Kraton only needs a single LiPo battery to operate. But the 6S and 8S versions require 2 LiPo batteries.
If you want to buy a Kraton, but want to keep costs down, the 4S version might be the right truggy for you.
Lets dive into the Arrma Kraton pros and cons for each model
Arrma Kraton Pros and Cons : 8S 1/5 Scale
If you are an experienced driver looking for a large monster truggy, the 1/5 Scale Arrma Kraton is an absolute BEAST. But, it is going to cost you around $1000 USD.
Arrma Kraton 8S Specifications
|Transmitter / Receiver||Included||Wheelbase||19.33" (491 mm)|
|Shock Type||Oil-filled coil-over||Length||29.92" (760 mm)|
|Charger||Sold Separately||Top Speed||55+ MPH|
|Connector Type||IC5 / EC5||Height||10.47" (266 mm)|
|Motor Size||4685 / 1250Kv||Weight||24.2lbs (11kg)|
|Drivetrain||4WD||Wheel Width||3.54" (90mm)|
Arrma Kraton 8S Pros
- The 1/5 Scale Kraton is one of the biggest monster truggies on the market. The price for its sheer size is a pro because there are other 1/5 scale trucks on the market that are even more expensive than the Kraton.
- The 8S Kraton sits high off the ground. The ground clearance will allow you to drive this truck just about anywhere. You can bash in tall grass, on forest trails, and drive over rocks with ease.
- An 8S power system produces a lot of power. Arrma has built this truggy with an all-metal drivetrain. All-metal parts will help keep your truggy from breaking under the intense voltage the 8S system provides to the ESC and motor.
Arrma Kraton 8S Cons
- At nearly 1000 dollars, this vehicle is not for beginners. An RC truggy that costs this much is a major investment. You must take good care of this vehicle by keeping it clean and oiling it often.
- It takes two LiPo batteries to operate. To achieve the 55+ MPH rating, you will need to purchase two 4S LiPo batteries with a decent discharge rate. You are going to spend around 200 dollars for the batteries alone.
- Our last 8S Kraton con is its massive size. You will need a dedicated place to store this giant truck and a huge workbench to wrench on it if something breaks.
Arrma Kraton Pros and Cons : 1/8 Scale 6S
The 6s Arrma Kraton is smaller compared to the 1/5 scale version, coming in at almost 7 inches less in total length. But, the 1/8 Scale version will reach a higher max speed compared to the larger 1/5 scale model.
Arrma Kraton 6S Specifications
|Receiver||Included||Wheelbase||14.84 in (377mm)|
|Shock Type||Oil-filled coil-over||Length||23.39" (594 mm)|
|Charger||Sold Separately||Max Speed||60+ MPH|
|Connector Type||IC5 / EC5||Height||7.68" (195 mm)|
|Motor Size||4074 / 2050KV||Weight||9.35|
|Drivetrain||4WD||Wheel Width||3.3" (81.5mm)|
Arrma Kraton 6S Pros
- The 1/8 Scale 6S Kraton is one of my favorite trucks in the 1/8 scale class because very few models in this size run on a 6S power system. I can't begin to explain how much more power a 6S power system delivers to the rear wheels compared to a 4S model that is the same scale size.
- The 6S Kraton sits lower to the ground and the truggy design gives this truck excellent stability. It is much harder a truggy to roll over compared to monster trucks. This is due to the lower center of gravity that the truggy design provides.
- The Spektrum electronics and servos are waterproof. You can drive this vehicle through puddles and in wet weather. The waterproofing should keep the electronics dry so you can drive in any conditions. My advice, however, would be to not completely submerge the vehicle.
- The Motor is brushless and is one of the biggest motors on the market.
Arrma Kraton 6S Cons
- At nearly 600 dollars, this vehicle is comes with a heft price tag. You have to be a serious about RC cars if are thinking about purchasing this vehicle.
- Just like the 8S model, this vehicle takes two LiPo batteries to operate. To reach the 60+ MPH rating, you will need to purchase two 3S LiPo batteries with a high discharge rate.
- Users on the Arrma forum noted that you can run the vehicle with a single LiPo battery, but you need to install the dummy plug into the open battery wiring lead.
- Spektrum active vehicle control will help keep the truck under control while driving at 6S.
Arrma Kraton Pros and Cons : 1/10 Scale 4S
The 4s 1/10 Arrma Kraton is smallest truggy in the Kraton lineup. This is a great vehicle for new drivers that want a basher that can take a beating and keep on running. This truck can reach speeds of 55+ miles per hour, hit jumps, and tear up your local race track.
The 1/10 scale size is great for driving in your backyard and is quiet enough so it won't disturb the neighbors.
Arrma Kraton 4S Specifications
|Receiver||Included||Wheelbase||13.98" (355 mm)|
|Shock Type||Oil-filled coil-over||Length||21.54" (547 mm)|
|Charger||Sold Separately||Max Speed||55+ MPH|
|Connector Type||IC5 / EC5||Height||8.11" (206 mm)|
|Motor Size||4074 / 2050KV||Weight||9.26lbs (4.2kg)|
|Drivetrain||4WD||Wheel Width||2.95" (75mm)|
Arrma Kraton 4S Pros
- I think the size and max speed is one of the best features about this vehicle. It is small enough to fit in the backseat of your car, but powerful enough to reach insane high speeds.
- This truck includes all Spektrum electronics. The transmitter, receiver, ESC, and servo are all top of the line Spektrum electronics. This will give you peace of mind that your truck should keep running for many years are rough driving.
- The shocks on the 4S Kraton are adjustable. That means you can raise or lower the ride height, and fine-tune the spring preload to help you truck launch flat into the air when hitting jumps.
Arrma Kraton 4S Cons
- There is a lot of completion in the RC market for 1/10 scale RC trucks. You could find a cheaper model that will have many of the same features (except for the 4S brushless power system thats what makes this truck stand apart from the field.)
- You will need 1 4S LiPo battery to power this vehicle and reach the 55+ mile per hour speed rating. 4S LiPos can run anywhere from 60 to 120 dollars depending on the brand and discharge rating.
- Spare parts may have to be sourced online. Double check with your local hobby shop to see if they carry Arrma Kraton trucks and parts.
Arrma Kraton Pros and Cons FAQs
What is the top speed of the Arrma Kraton?
The top speed of the Arrma Kraton varies depending on the specific model and the type and number of batteries used. The fastest Kraton is the 6S model and can reach speeds of up to 60+ mph with a two 3S LiPo battery running the truck in 6S.
Is the Arrma Kraton waterproof?
Yes, the Arrma Kraton is designed to be waterproof. You can drive it through puddles and in wet weather conditions without worrying about damaging the electronics. However, make sure to dry and oil all moving metal parts on the vehicle after driving in wet conditions. Proper oiling will help to prevent rust, especially in the bearings.
Does the Arrma Kraton come with a battery and charger?
No, none of the Arrma Kraton models come with a battery or charger. You will need to purchase both of these separately.
Arrma Kraton Pros and Cons Conclusion
The Arrma Kraton line up is one of my favorites on the market. Whether you are looking for a small 1/10 scale RC truggy or a 1/5 scale monster machine, you can find the perfect car that will fit your driving style and budget.
This truck is a great all around basher that sits on a truggy style chassis. You should be able to run this vehicle wide open without rolling it over too easily.
If you are looking for a giant RC truck, go with the 1/5 8S model. If you are trying to buy a great RC truggy on a budget, go with the 1/10 scale model.
Remember that the 8S and the 6S versions can run two LiPo batteries, while the 4S version only requires a single LiPo.