If you're the proud owner of an Axial 1/24 SCX24 (Brushed Model) or considering adding one to your collection, you will enjoy its compact size and performance capabilities. The SCX24 is a compact and powerful RC vehicle that offers a fun but technical off-road experience with its realistic design and impressive performance.
But to truly harness its capabilities, it's crucial to understand its power source - the batteries. The type of batteries used, their lifespan, and how to maintain them can significantly impact your RC adventures.
In this post, we will discuss the axial SCX24 battery and why these particular batteries are used, how long they typically last, and how you can extend their lifespan. Whether you're new to the RC scene or an experienced hobbyist, this guide will give you the knowledge you need to keep your Axial 1/24 SCX24 running at peak performance. Let's get started!"
The Stock Battery in the Axial 1/24 SCX24
The Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model uses a specific type of battery to power its operations - a rechargeable 2S 7.4V 350mAh 30C LiPo battery. This LiPo battery type provides better performance compared to NiMh or NiCad batteries. I always recommend drivers pick a vehicle that runs LiPo packs if available. And Luckily, the SCX24 does come with a LiPo pack.
LiPo, or Lithium Polymer batteries, are known for their ability to provide high energy output, which is important when you need a lot juice for the terrain you are driving on. LiPos can deliver a large amount of power in a short time, allowing the vehicle to power through loose dirt and up steep slopes. The LiPo is the best battery when you want to drive your rig over challenging terrains with ease.
The 2S 7.4V 350mAh rating of the battery indicates its capacity and voltage. The '2S' means it has two cells in series, resulting in a total voltage of 7.4V. The '350mAh' is the battery's capacity, indicating how much power it can hold. This combination of voltage and capacity provides the ideal balance of performance and runtime for the Axial 1/24 SCX24. The 'C' rating is the discharge rating, and the 30C pack will provide a snappy punch when you need a quick boost of power.
Lastly, LiPo batteries are lightweight and can be manufactured in various shapes and sizes. This flexibility in size and weight makes them an excellent choice for the compact Axial 1/24 SCX24, as they fit perfectly within the vehicle's design without adding unnecessary weight or bulk.
In summary, the 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery used in the Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model is chosen for its high power output, suitable capacity and voltage, and flexible size and weight. Understanding these aspects can help you better manage the vehicle's power requirements and ensure optimal performance.
Technical Specifications for the Axial SCX24 Electronics
|Motor||SCX24 030-Motor with Pinion (DYNS1217)|
|Battery||7.4V 350mAh 2S LiPo (DYNB0012)|
|Charger||USB LiPo Charger (DYNC1063)|
|ESC||ESC/Receiver with Forward and Reverse (HRZ00015)|
If you are looking to upgrade the motor, read our guide on the Best Motor And ESC Combo For The Axial SCX24.
The Battery Connection On the Axial SCX24
Accordion to the Axial 1/24 SCX24 manual, the RC uses a PH 2.0 (High-Current Ultra Micro) connector for its battery. This is also known as a JST connector. This type of connector is commonly used in small-scale RC vehicles due to its compact size and ability to handle high current for its size. It's important to ensure any replacement or spare batteries you purchase also use this type of connector to ensure compatibility with your vehicle.
How Long Will The Battery Last On the Axial SCX24?
The lifespan of the 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery will vary depending on your driving style. On average, you can expect about 20 to 30 minutes of run time from a fully charged battery. However, this duration can be influenced by a number of factors, such as:
- Terrain (loose gravel vs. hard rock)
- Obstacles (rocks, small logs, or sticks)
- Temperature (cold weather will drain a battery faster)
I think the terrain is the primary factor that affects battery life. For instance, if you're driving the Axial 1/24 SCX24 at low speeds and crawling over rocks, the battery will drain slower than if you're driving on flat trails at a slightly higher speed. The take-home point is crawling over challenging terrain should drain the battery slower than doing high-speed runs with your crawler.
Weather conditions can also impact battery life. Cold weather, in particular, can reduce the performance of LiPo batteries. If you're using your Axial 1/24 SCX24 in cold conditions, you may notice a decrease in run time. On the other hand, extremely hot weather conditions can hurt LiPo battery performance because heat increases the internal resistance of LiPo batteries, which can lead to voltage drops and reduced power output. This can result in decreased performance and potential voltage sags, impacting the performance of devices powered by the battery.
The way you maintain and charge your battery can also affect its lifespan. Overcharging, undercharging, or not properly balancing the cells in your LiPo battery can lead to reduced performance and a shorter overall lifespan. Using a good quality charger that is specifically designed for LiPo batteries can help ensure they are charged correctly and safely.
In conclusion, while the 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery in the Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model typically offers a run time of around 20 to 30 minutes, this can be influenced by factors such as the type of use, weather conditions, and battery maintenance practices. Understanding these factors can help you maximize your battery life and enjoy longer RC adventures.
How To Maximize Battery Life On the Axial SCX24?
To ensure you get the most out of your 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery for the Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model, there are several tips and tricks you can follow:
- Proper Charging: Always use a LiPo-compatible charger (preferably the charger that came with the vehicle) and follow the manufacturer's instructions for charging. Overcharging or undercharging can harm the battery's performance and lifespan.
- Balanced Charging: LiPo batteries consist of multiple cells, and it's important that all cells are charged equally. A balanced charger ensures this, prolonging the battery life.
- Avoid Deep Discharge: Try not to drain your battery completely. It's generally recommended to stop using the battery when it reaches around 20% of its capacity. Deep discharging can lead to a reduction in the overall lifespan of the battery.
- Storage: If you're not going to use your RC vehicle for a while, don't leave the battery fully charged. It's best to store LiPo batteries at about 50% charge in a cool and dry place.
- Temperature Management: Extreme temperatures can affect battery performance and lifespan. Avoid using and charging your batteries in very hot or cold conditions.
- Regular Inspection: Regularly check your batteries for any signs of damage or swelling. If you notice anything unusual, stop using the battery immediately to avoid any potential safety issues.
By following these tips, you can maximize the life of your batteries, ensuring you get the most enjoyment out of your Axial SCX24!
Replacing Batteries For The Axial SCX24
Replacing the Lipo battery in your SCX24 Brushed Model is a straightforward process. Here's a step-by-step guide:
- Turn off the vehicle: Always ensure your RC vehicle is turned off before you start replacing the batteries.
- Remove the body shell: Depending on the model, you may need to remove a few body clips to take off the body shell and access the battery compartment.
- Disconnect the old battery: Carefully disconnect the old battery from the vehicle. Be gentle to avoid damaging the connector.
- Remove the old battery: Take out the old battery from its compartment.
- Insert the new battery: Place the new 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery into the battery compartment. Make sure it fits snugly and securely.
- Connect the new battery: Connect the new battery to the vehicle. Ensure the connectors are firmly attached.
- Replace the body shell: Put the body shell back on the vehicle and secure it with the body clips.
While replacing the batteries, it's important to keep the following safety precautions in mind:
- Never force a connection or a battery into place. If it doesn't fit, it's possible you have the wrong battery or you're connecting it incorrectly.
- Always handle batteries with care. Avoid puncturing or damaging them, as this can lead to a fire risk.
- Dispose of old batteries responsibly. Many localities have specific disposal procedures for LiPo batteries.
By following these steps and precautions, you can safely and effectively replace the batteries in your Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model.
FAQs For The Axial SCX24 LiPo Batteries
What type of battery does the Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model use?
The Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model uses a 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery. This type of battery is chosen for its high power output, suitable capacity and voltage, and flexible size and weight.
How long does the SCX24 battery last on a full charge?
The battery can provide around 20 to 30 minutes of run time on a full charge. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the type of use, weather conditions, and battery maintenance practices.
How can I extend the life of my battery?
To extend the life of your battery, ensure proper charging using a LiPo-compatible charger, avoid deep discharging, store the battery at about 50% charge if not in use for a while, manage temperature conditions, and regularly inspect your batteries for any signs of damage or swelling.
How do I replace the battery in my Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model?
To replace the battery, turn off the vehicle, remove the body shell, disconnect and remove the old battery, insert and connect the new battery, and replace the body shell. Always handle batteries with care and dispose of old batteries responsibly.
Understanding and properly maintaining the batteries of your Axial 1/24 scale SCX24 is crucial to ensuring the optimal performance and longevity of your RC vehicle. The 2S 7.4V 350mAh LiPo battery provides the power needed for your crawler over almost any terrain, but it requires careful handling, charging, and storage to keep it in top shape.
We've discussed the type of battery used, the average lifespan, and factors that can affect this lifespan. We've also shared tips on how to maximize battery life and steps to replace the batteries safely. By following these guidelines, you can enjoy longer, more exciting RC adventures with your Axial 1/24 SCX24 Brushed Model.
We encourage you to share your own experiences or tips regarding battery use and maintenance. Your insights could be invaluable to other RC enthusiasts. Remember, the RC community thrives on shared knowledge and experiences. So, let's keep the conversation going and continue exploring the thrilling world of RC vehicles together. Happy driving!